For football fans who love to bet on their favourite teams and leagues, the end of the season is a frustrating time – no more football for three months! Sure, many leagues run over the summer and it might be a World Cup or Euros year, but if you only follow the EPL or the biggest leagues in Europe, you probably don’t feel as thrilled to be betting on leagues in Scandinavia, South America or Asia. Along though comes a saving grace – transfer betting sites.
One aspect of football that comes alive during the close season is the transfer, with players free to find new sides and clubs free to splash their cash on established hotshots and the stars of tomorrow. You can bet on football transfers at many of the leading bookies in the UK, and here at Safe Betting Sites we are going to show you how.
Top 10 Football Transfer Betting Sites
- Claim Your Bonus
- No minimum deposit requirements
- Excellent platform for in-play betting
- 20 years of experience in the market
- Large number of transfer betting markets
- Daily football price boosts
- Excellent odds across the board
- Bookie covers many potential transfer deals
- Hundreds of daily in-play football markets
- Generous welcome offer
- Home of the betting special
- Good number of transfer specials
- Competitive odds
- Generous welcome offer
- Regularly offers industry-leading odds
- Excellent football coverage
- Sportsbook and exchange options
- Generous welcome offer
- Trusted and reliable bookmaker
- Huge number of transfer betting specials
- Regular football price boosts
- Ongoing football promotions
- Good number of transfer betting markets
- Range of accumulator promotions
- Variety of additional football specials
- Unique welcome offer
- Live football streaming
- Excellent mobile app for iOS and Android customers
- Large number of ongoing promotions
- Reputable UK bookmaker
- Horse racing and greyhounds live streaming
How We Rank the Best Transfer Betting Sites
Our wagering experts have carefully selected the best transfer betting sites available to punters in the UK today. Having tested each and every one, our recommendations are based upon evaluating each site based on strict criteria. The best transfer betting sites, we feel, perform well in the following areas:
- Safety – As with all of our recommended betting sites, all bookmakers offering player transfer betting odds on this page are completely safe. A licence from the UK Gambling Commission is a given, while a host of security measures are also expected, including SSL encryption. Each site also follows responsible gambling guidelines at all times.
- Markets – When it comes to football transfer betting odds, prices are offered on a decent number of markets. Punters can bet on player transfer betting markets, as well as transfer window betting markets. This means that bets can be placed on individual transfers, as well as total spending and specific clubs.
- Odds – Bets on football transfers should only be placed if the potential winnings are worthwhile. As a result, our recommended transfer betting sites offer appealing odds, reflecting the current football scene. In addition, many offer price boosts and enhanced odds offers.
- Promotions – Each of our recommended operators offers some form of welcome deal. Whether it be a free bet, bonus or risk free bet, such offers make signing up all the more attractive. Ongoing promotions are also found for existing customers, with some catering for those placing football transfer bets. We also check the T&Cs to make sure all deals are fair and square.
- Live Streaming – A handful of our recommended bookies also offer live streaming. While this is enjoyable to watch, it can also be useful when it comes to placing bets. If a player involved in a potential transfer is left out of the matchday squad, is subbed early doors or is playing without breaking a sweat, this could indicate that a deal is imminent.
The Evolution of the UK Football Transfer
What is Transfer Window Betting?
Football transfer news is important and exciting for clubs, players and fans. Teams will regularly enter the transfer market in the hope of adding quality to their playing squad. Whether it be a free transfer or a £100 million deal, betting on such moves is now available at many bookmakers. Punters can place a bet on which team a specific player will join, whether a player will move during the next transfer window, how much will be spent in total and even whether the transfer record will be broken. Bookmakers in the UK are increasingly catering for punters looking to place such wagers, with odds changing based on rumours, media chat, club statements and offers being made. Markets will often be suspended in the days leading up to the completion of a transfer.
When are the Football Transfer Windows?
Football transfer windows determine when clubs are able to complete moves. While deals can be agreed outside such dates, players will be unable to start playing until windows officially open, with free agents being the only exception. Across Europe, the following dates are the ones to look at for in terms of major league transfer windows:
|League||Summer Transfer Window||Winter Transfer Window|
|English Premier League||May 17 – August 9||January 1 – January 31|
|Spanish La Liga||July 1 – September 2||January 1 – February 2|
|Italian Serie A||July 1 – September 2||January 2 – January 31|
|Portuguese Primeira Liga||July 3 – September 22||January 4 – February 1|
|German Bundesliga||July 1 – September 2||January 1 – February 2|
|French Ligue 1||July 1 – September 2||January 1 – February 2|
|Dutch Eredivisie||June 11 – September 2||January 3 – January 31|
|Scottish Premiership||June 9 – September 1||January 1 – February 1|
|Belgian First Division A||July 1 – August 31||January 1 – January 31|
Most Popular Football Transfer Betting Markets
When it comes to football transfer betting markets, there are a number of options available to punters. While market availability will differ across bookies, the following markets are among the most common and popular:
- To Stay at Current Club – Transfer rumours circulate daily, regardless of whether the window is open or not, such as the rumour that Mesut Özil was leaving Arsenal that was around for several years. The majority of rumours though never actually materialise. One of the most popular transfer markets is to simply bet on whether a player will stay at his current club or leave. Here, those betting on the player to stay will win if they are still with the club when the transfer window closes. A good example from the 2020 summer transfer window was betting on playmaker supreme Lionel Messi staying at Barcelona, with the Argentine having long been linked with Manchester City in the EPL.
- Which Club a Player Will Join – In many cases, it is obvious which club a player will be joining, even months in advance sometimes (like Eden Hazard leaving Chelsea for Real Madrid). Here, bookies are likely to offer short odds on such an outcome. However, those in the know may be able to predict less anticipated deals, for example, when Alexis Sanchez joined Manchester United from Arsenal when everyone expected him to move to Manchester City.
- Transfer Record – Will your club break their transfer window during the upcoming window? This market is a little tricker to uncover, however it can be a lucrative one. This market is worth taking advantage of when rumours surrounding a big name signing are rife or heavy investment has been made. For example, you could bet on Barcelona breaking their transfer record, which is something they do on a very frequent basis.
- Managerial – It is not just the players which punters can bet on. Many bookies offer bets on who will be the next manager to lose his job. Meanwhile, punters can also stake on who will be the next manager of a particular club. For example, betting on Mauricio Pochettino being the next manager of Arsenal.
Football Transfer Betting Odds
You can gain some beneficial odds when looking at potential transfers, and unlike match-day markets the odds offered by different sports book can vary wildly. Even if a transfer is ‘semi’ expected, your returns should still be well worth the risk. As an example, here are the odds of the club that Leo Messi will be playing for after the next transfer window.
Lionel Messi Transfer Odds
Messi has hinted at playing in the EPL before the close of the next window, and it is thought that Manchester City are the Argentine’s favoured destination … but Manchester United at 33/1 sure looks tempting. United do have a habit of unexpectedly snapping up global superstars at the tail-end of their careers after all, like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edinson Cavani.
The Evolution of the Global Football Transfer
Most Expensive Football Player Transfers of All Time
The amount spent on football transfers has been steadily growing over the years, with Giuseppe Savoldi having been the first million pound player back in 1975. Nowadays, a number of clubs regularly break their transfer record. The table below shows the 10 biggest transfers in history:
|Neymar Jr||Barcelona – PSG||2017||£198 million|
|Kylian Mbappe||AS Monaco – PSG||2018||£163 million|
|Joao Felix||Benfica – Atlético Madrid||2019||£114 million|
|Philippe Coutinho||Liverpool – Barcelona||2018||£105 million|
|Antoine Griezmann||Atletico Madrid – Barcelona||2019||£107 million|
|Ousmane Dembele||Dortmund – Barcelona||2017||£98 million|
|Paul Pogba||Juventus – Manchester United||2016||£89 million|
|Eden Hazard||Chelsea – Real Madrid||2019||£89 million|
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Real Madrid – Juventus||2018||£88 million|
|Gareth Bale||Tottenham Hotspur – Real Madrid||2014||£86 million|
How to Succeed at Football Transfer Betting: Strategy & Tips
As with any form of betting, football transfer markets are not easy to predict. No matter your goals, there are a number of ways in which you can give yourself the best possible chance of been successful with your football transfer betting. Below are our top tips for placing winning football transfer bets:
- Reliable Sources – Transfer rumours crop up daily in media both online and printed. Rather than believe everything in which you read, its best if you stick to reliable sources. Some journalists and outlets have better reputations than others in this area, with many having a track record of successfully predicting transfer deals.
- Monitor Odds – The earlier you bet on a potential transfer, the better the odds will be. This is not always the case, especially if more than one club is battling to sign the same player. Look to time your bets right, based on how bookies are updating their prices. Placing a bet the day before a transfer is rubber-stamped is unlikely to bring about any major returns.
- Watch the Action – Watching matches live as they play out can provide an indication as to a player’s frame of mind. Those who are about to back their bags may appear off their game or not put in maximum effort. Players have also been known to wave goodbye to fans ahead of a move, or refuse to play at all.
- Top Players – Betting on the top footballers is all well and good, however better value can often be found on less high-profile individuals. If you can successfully predict a transfer involving an up-and-coming youngster or free agent, it could well be a real money spinner.
- Social Media – Increasingly, social media plays a role in indicating the future moves of players. Whether they post a cryptic message on Instagram or reply to a fan’s question on Twitter, following such platforms can be very useful.
Transfer deadline day is the final day of a particular transfer window. Despite clubs having had weeks to complete deals, many are left to the last possible moment. As a result, deadline day is one of the most anticipated dates in the calendar for many fans. Many major deals have taken place on deadline day in the past, including Fernando Torres to Chelsea and Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United. The exact date of deadline day varies between leagues and countries, however it is likely to be around the beginning of September in the summer and the end of January in winter. The likes of SkySports and the BBC follow all deals on Deadline Day and are regarded as the best sources for football fans in the UK, so when it’s deadline day why not indulge in some Sky transfer betting?.
The Best UK Deadline Day Deals of All Time?
|Wayne Rooney||Everton-Manchester United||2004||£20 million|
|Luis Suarez||Ajax-Liverpool||2010||£22.8 million|
|Claude Makelele||Real Madrid-Chelsea||2003||£16 million|
|Hugo Lloris||Lyon-Tottenham Hotspur||2012||£8 million|
|Ashley Cole||Arsenal-Chelsea||2006||£5 million|
The Worst UK Deadline Day Deals of All Time?
|Andy Carroll||Newcastle United-Liverpool||2011||£20 million|
|Afonso Alves||Heerenveen-Middlesbrough||2008||£12.5 million|
|Fernando Torres||Liverpool-Chelsea||2011||£50 million|
|Radamel Falcao||Monaco-Manchester United||2014||£6 million (loan fee)|
|Kostas Mitroglou||Olympiacos-Fulham||2014||£12 million|
Transfer Betting Specials
As we’ve already mentioned, player transfer betting speculation is an on-going process, and you will find that bookies will constantly offer a series of football transfer betting specials, especially concerning the top players. For example, while it seems likely that Harry Kane will spend his entire career at Tottenham, might the club’s continual lack of silverware become something of an issue for him, eventually? As each transfer window approaches, online bookmakers will offer odds on Kane remaining at Spurs, or moving to a different EPL side, or to a European league or even to the MLS or China!
Keep an eye on all the safe betting sites we have recommended to you to keep tabs on the transfer betting specials offered by them. If heavy speculation is currently following a player around like a lost puppy, then it’s perhaps time to check sites that offer transfer specials and see which have the best odds. If you’ve a hunch and don’t mind indulging in pie in the sky transfer betting, you could win yourself a tidy sum of cash!
Bottom Line on Football Transfer Betting
Looking to bet on your favourite footballer moving club in next transfer window? Do you have an inkling about a managerial casualty? The transfer betting sites on this page cater for such needs, while all being one hundred percent legal and secure. So, be sure to check them out for yourself, along with the markets and features they offer.
What type of bets can I place on football transfers?
When betting on football transfers, punters can stake on the club in which a player will join or whether a player will stay or remain during the transfer window. Some bookies will offer additional markets, however these are the most common on UK betting sites.
Can I bet on managerial moves?
Yes. Many bookies accept bets on the next manager to be sacked and the next manager of major clubs.
What happens if a move falls through at the last minute?
Unfortunately, your bet will only win if the player in which you have betted on completed their transfer. Failed medicals or last minute cancellations will mean that your bet could well lose.
Are promotions available surrounding football transfer betting markets?
All of our recommended football transfer betting sites offer a generous welcome offer, while a host of ongoing promotions are available. While a small proportion of such offers will be specific towards transfers, many will cater for punters looking to place such bets.
Where can I read about potential football transfers?
It is important to read news regarding the latest transfers from trusted outlets. There are a number of journalists who specialise in transfer activity.