Home » Blog » among us downloads surge 13x year over year 661 month over month in august 2020

Among Us Downloads Surge 13x Year-over-Year, 661% Month-over-Month in August 2020

Nica San Juan
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, when clicking on those we might receive a commission - at no extra cost to you. By using this website you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.

In the third quarter of 2020, Among Us leapfrogged PUBG Mobile, becoming the most downloaded game. According to the research data analyzed and published by Safe Betting Sites, the game had surpassed the 100 million downloads milestone by the end of September 2020.

Data from Sensor Tower reveals that in mid-September, Among Us had reached 86.6 million downloads in total on mobile. In August, the number of downloads soared 661% month-over-month, reaching 18.4 million.

The trend kept up in September, with new installs increasing by 127% between September 1 and 14, to reach 41.9 million. During the one-and-a-half-month period from the beginning of August to mid-September, the number of installs accounted for 70% of the game’s lifetime downloads.

Interestingly, the number of downloads between January and June 2020 averaged 1.53 million per month. In January, it had 1.1 million downloads, increasing to 1.2 million in February and then to 1.6 million in March.

April saw 1.7 million downloads while May and June had 1.8 million each. In July, there was a considerable increase to 2.4 million, making way for the spectacular increase recorded in August and September.


US Holds 23.7% Share of Global Downloads, 49% of Total Revenue

The US holds the largest share of the market, with 23.7% of all installs, 20.5 million downloads as of September 14, 2020. Brazil was the second largest market with 19.25% of the global share and 16.6 million downloads. Mexico came in third with an 8% share and 6.8 million installs.

In terms of player spending, the US ranks first once again. Players in the country had spent $1.6 million on in-game purchases by mid-September 2020. This translated to more than 49% of the total revenue.

Second on the list was Brazil, accounting for 10.3% of total revenue after players spent $335,000 on the game. South Korea took the third spot with a 10.2% share or $330,000.

By mid-September, the Google Play Store accounted for 69.8% of the total number of downloads, at 60.4 million. On the other hand, the Apple App Store held the remaining 30.2%, with slightly more than 26 million downloads.

However, with regards to spending, the App Store took the lead, bringing in $1.9 million, which translated to 59.4%. Google Play Store generated $1.3 million, accounting for the remaining 40.6%.

According to data from Sensor Tower, mobile game installs grew by 28% YoY during Q3 2020, to reach 14.2 billion on both app stores.

Google Play Store had the highest growth of 36.8% from 8.7 billion to 11.9 billion quarter-over-quarter (QoQ). On the App Store, there was a slight decline in game installs from 2.4 billion n Q3 2019 to 2.3 billion in Q3 2020. This came about as a result of a decline in China’s App Store game installs.

Among Us installs on both app stores during the quarter increased by 13x YoY. On the other hand, PUBG Mobile fell to the tenth spot on the worldwide list. A major reason for PUBG Mobile’s fall from glory has to do with India’s ban on the game.

Prior to the ban, India held the biggest share of the game’s global downloads, 24% according to Sensor Tower.


Concurrent Viewers Surged by 3,200.6% on Twitch between June and July 2020

When Among Us first launched in 2018, it averaged around 30 players at a time. According to InnerSloth, the game’s developer, it hit an all-time peak of 3.8 million concurrent players on mobile and PC at the end of September 2020.

The total number of users playing the game daily rose to 60 million. Steamcharts data shows that at some point the game had over 400,000 concurrent players on Steam.

On Twitch, the game went from an average of 171 concurrent viewers to 5,600 between June and July 2020. It was an astounding increase of 3,200.6%. The figure rose to 41,100 in August and further to 240,000 in September.


In terms of hours watched, it went from 120,000 in June to 4.16 million in July and further to 30.6 million in August. September had the peak once again at 147 million hours.

As a result of its sudden rise to fame, the game is now the third most watched on Twitch behind League of Legends (LoL) and ‘Just Chatting.” While LoL holds a 10.919% global market share, Among Us has 6.94%.

Based on the statistics, the game had its eureka moment in July 2020, right around the same time when Twitch star ‘Sodapoppin’ started playing it. More popular streamers joined the bandwagon in no time, sending it to stratospheric highs.

Nica San Juan
Nica San Juan

Nica is a BA Political Science graduate, startup founder and financial expert. She has an entrepreneurial spirit and started several startups from a young age, eventually becoming fascinated with stocks, cryptocurrencies and the blockchain economy. She specializes in financial tech and her expertise is in writing detailed tutorials and guides on how to invest in stocks and cryptocurrencies.

Was this article helpful?