Cycling is one of the most physically demanding sports around today. Its competitiveness makes it enjoyable to both watch and bet on too. Whether it be the Tour de France or the Olympic Games, a host of online bookies now accept bets on cycling events. However, just which are the standout cycling betting sites available in the UK right now? This page will outline the top bookies in this area, as well as explaining how cycling betting odds work and the top cycling betting tips for punters.
Our Recommended Cycling Betting Sites
- Claim Your Bonus
- Outright cycling markets available
- Each way bets accepted
- Daily price boosts
- Pre-race, in-play and outright cycling markets available
- Cycling specials found
- Excellent odds on cycling markets
- Good number of cycling markets available
- Host of additional features
- Generous welcome offer
- Live streaming of cycling events*
- Good cycling coverage
- Welcome bonus caters for all
- Variety of ongoing promotions
- Bookie covers different types of cycling
- Outright cycling markets available
- Regularly offers leading cycling odds
- Daily price boosts and specials
- Efficient mobile app for iOS and Android customers
- Regular in-play cycling options
- Appealing bet builder feature available
- Generous welcome bonus
- Regular cycling markets available
- Virtual cycling markets found
- Excellent odds on cycling markets
- Generous welcome offer
- Virtual cycling markets available
- Daily price boosts
- Huge number of cycling markets available
- Outright bets accepted on Tour de France & Giro d’Italia
- Cycling live streaming on desktop and mobile
How We Rank the Best Cycling Betting Sites
Cycling is still a relatively diverse sports betting market. However, with an increasing number of cycling betting sites being available, deciding which to sign up with can be difficult. Bettors can rest assured that our experts have taken time and effort in recommending nothing but the top online bookmakers in this field. With that being said, let’s take a look at just how we rank the leading cycling betting sites available to punters in the UK:
- Safety – It is important that punters only register at cycling betting sites that are fully licensed and regulated in the UK. This can certainly be said of all of our top ranked bookies, which hold a license from the Gambling Commission. As a result, your personal details are never at risk, while all payments are made securely too.
- Markets – Cycling is growing rapidly as a betting market. As such, bookies are having to place a greater emphasis upon the sport. Whether it be road, track or mountain biking events, the best cycling betting sites will offer a variety of markets, not only on the major competitions throughout the year.
- Odds – The prices found at cycling betting sites should be one of the first things in which punters take note of. Prices will determine how much you make from backing your favourite riders. Those who offer price boosts or enhanced odds offers surrounding cycling are also likely to be ranked higher.
- Promotions – They may not be specific to cycling, however promotions can certainly lend punters a helping hand in reaching their goals. Cycling betting sites will offer some form of welcome bonus, as well as ongoing promotions. Promotions include free bets, acca boosts, insurance offers and early payouts. T&Cs apply surrounding promotions too.
- Mobile – The best cycling betting sites are also available on mobile. Many bookies also even deliver dedicated betting apps, perfect for those who are constantly on the move. Generally spelling, all of the same markets and features as found on desktop sportsbook sites are also found on mobile platforms.
- Payments – In terms of funding your bets on cycling events, a good number of payment methods should be available. In the UK, this means debit cards, e-wallets, bank transfers and Pay By Phone. Fees involved should ideally be covered by the bookie, with funds being deposited and withdrawn rapidly.
- Support – For times when assistance is required, cycling betting sites must ensure that their customer service is up to par. We test all bookies in this area. Response times, availability and friendliness are all important in this area.
- Features – When it comes to betting on cycling, features such as live streaming and cash out only add to the user experience. As such, our recommended cycling betting sites all perform well in terms of extras.
Different Types of Cycling
Cycling is popular in part due to its diversity. Whether it be professional or amateur events, a variety of different formats of cycling are competed in. In order to ensure that punters understand the differences, let’s take a closer look at the main types of cycling that will feature on top betting sites:
As the name suggests, this form of cycling takes place mainly on roads. While some races will also be held on trails, grass and steep inclines, the majority are paved roads. This is the most popular form of cycling, when it comes to both viewing and betting. Road cycling can include time trials and mass start events, with many being broken down into different stages. Prime examples of road cycling events come in the form of the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia and Vuelta a Espana. Road cycling is often grueling, with some events being held over a distance of up to 300km.
As you may have seen at events including the Olympic Games, track cycling takes place at a velodrome. Sprint and endurance races are the most common. The first involves power and tactics over a shorter distance, with events here including team sprints, keirins and time trials. Stamina and speed are more important for endurance races, with individual pursuits, team pursuits, points races, Madison and Omnium being the best-known.
Cross country, downhill, moto-cross, enduro, and trail riding are some of the popular forms of mountain biking. Mountain biking grew significantly during the 90’s, with an increasing number of cycling betting sites now covering events from the scene.
Most Popular Cycling Betting Markets
The amount of cycling markets will differ between bookies. While most of them are easy to understand, even if you are not a cycling expert, it is still worth noting the available options. The following are some of the most popular and commonly found cycling betting markets:
- Race Winner – Just like when betting on motor racing or horse racing, punters can bet on the outright winner of a specific race.
- Stage Winner- Many cycling events are broken down into stages. As a result, the majority of cycling betting sites make it possible for their customers to bet on which rider will come out on top in specific stages. Stage wins are perhaps easier to predict, based on skills as sprinters/climbers or experience within the Grand Tours.
- King of the Mountain – While only being available with a small number of online bookmakers, this market involves backing which cyclist will become the event’s best climber. This is especially appealing at events such as the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia, which are famed for their mountain stages.
- Best Young Rider – Cycling events are generally dominated by experienced riders. As a result, it could well be worth betting on which young competitor will record the best placing. Generally speaking, cyclists aged 25 or under will be eligible.
- Live – As with many other sports, including Premier League football, live betting is also available when it comes to cycling. Odds are updated once races are underway. So, if you know that a competitor has a strong sprint finish, it may well be worth backing them to come from behind to win.
Major Cycling Events and Races
While an increasing number of cycling events are found on betting sites today, there are some which stand out from the crowd. The Cycling World Championship is one of the leading events, however it is generally the following which will receive the greatest amount of interest from punters and bookies alike:
Tour de France
Any sports fan will be aware of the Tour de France. As the world’s most historic and competitive cycling event, the Tour de France is held over three weeks in France and some of its neighbouring countries. Dating back to 1903, the event takes place annually, attracting the biggest names in the sport. Some 20+ teams are now involved, each of which comes with 8 riders. Both mass start stages and time trials help to determine the winner, with Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain all having 5 wins to their name, while Britain’s Chris Froome has 4 wins. The famous yellow jersey is worn by the leader of the general classification.
The Giro d’Italia is widely regarded as the second biggest cycling event in the world. Held over 21 stages, the event spans over three weeks in Italy and a small number of other countries. Dating back to 1909, the rider with the lowest aggregate time wears the pink jersey, while points classification, general classification and mountains classification are also very competitive. Team Sky rider Tao Geoghegan Hart won the event in 2020.
Vuelta a Espana
Another prominent road race is the Vuelta a Espana. The annual event takes place primarily in Spain, lasting over three weeks. First held in 1935, the red jersey is donned by the rider with the lowest aggregate time. Spanish favourite Roberto Heras has four Vuelta a Espana wins to his name, the last of which came in 2005.
The Olympic Games is the pinnacle for many athletes. Taking place every four years, cycling has long been a major part of the summer games. Mountain biking became part of the event back in 1996, with the 2022 Games set to feature 22 different cycling events. Road and track events remain the most popular, with the Team Sprint always being one of the most competitive.
How to Succeed at Cycling Betting
Whether you are new to the world of cycling or have been following the sport for years, it is important to understand exactly how betting in this area works. This includes forming a strategy, based on your budget and objectives. Meanwhile, before placing any bet, be sure to follow these expert cycling betting tips:
Cycling Betting Tips
1. Learn the Sport – Road, track and mountain biking are all very different. As such, it is important that punters understand the format and rules before betting. Look at the basic principles of each one, including surrounding their different stages, points systems and styles.
2. Analyse Events – With an increasing number of cycling events taking place year in year out, the sport is growing in many ways. The amount of information available to punters is better than ever. So, look into how different events work, as well as finding details about the routes, teams and riders involved.
3. Do Your Homework – Before wagering on cycling, look at the recent form and physical condition of riders. Statistics are readily available online, with there being nothing worse than betting on a rider, only to find out that he is struggling with an injury picked up on the previous day of competition.
4. Get to Know the Teams – While cycling is often viewed as an individual sport, this is rarely the case. Riders are normally part of a team, who will work together in order to get the best possible results. So, familiarise yourself with the major teams, as this will help you when it comes to betting.
5. Choose the Right Bookie – We have recommended our top 10 cycling betting sites on this page. Each comes with its own benefits. So, be sure to take time when deciding which bookie to sign up with. Take into account markets, odds, features and customer support, among other things.
Cycling enthusiasts will undoubtedly find a betting site to suit their needs on this page. The sport is now covered by the vast majority of leading online bookies, meaning that betting on road, track and mountain biking events is more accessible than ever before. Whether you are looking to place an outright bet on the winner of the Tour de France or an in-play bet on Olympic action from the velodrome, our recommended cycling betting sites have you covered.
Which is the best cycling betting site?
While it is difficult to say which is the best, there are certainly some which are better than others. We have recommended MansionBet as our favourite, however the rest of the operators featured on this page are all worth checking out for yourself.
Can I watch cycling events live at betting sites?
This depends on which bookie you sign up with. A good number of cycling betting sites will offer live streaming of selected races. Not only does this make following your picks easier, it also adds to the excitement of the whole process.
What are the most popular cycling betting markets?
The most popular cycling betting market is simply to bet on the winner of a specific race. However, a number of other alternatives are available with most betting sites, including stage winner, king of the mountain and best young rider.
Is cycling a good sport to bet on?
Yes. The sport is going from strength to strength when it comes to betting. The number of events and markets found on cycling betting sites has increased significantly of late, so there has never been a better time to get involved. Given the competitiveness of the sport, there is good value to be found on a regular basis too.
Can I find live cycling betting markets?
Yes. The majority of cycling events will be available to bet on both pre-race and in-play. This means that punters can wager on their favourite riders even after races are underway.