Dating back to 1896 in Greece, the Olympic Games is regarded by many as the biggest event in sport. Attracting athletes and fans from around the world, the Olympics involves many different disciplines. Ranging from the long jump and 100m sprint to tennis and archery, those competing dream of winning the gold medal.
For those watching, Olympics betting sites add to the excitement and rewards. Olympics betting is growing in popularity, with many leading bookmakers now offering markets. So, whether you are looking to place bets on the 400m hurdles or newly introduced skateboarding events, this page has everything you need to know. We recommend our top Olympics betting sites, as well as outlining how Olympics betting odds work.
Top 10 Olympics Betting Sites
- Claim Free Bet
- Outright Olympics markets available
- Range of ongoing promotions
- Good number of athletics events covered
- Attractive odds
- Olympics markets added months in advance
- Live athletics betting available
- 30+ sports covered
- Many athletics events available
- Boosted winnings on acca bets
- Variety of appealing promotions
- Excellent platform for live betting
- Useful statistics available
- Unique welcome offer
- Excellent sports coverage
- Competitive odds
- Daily betting specials
- Regular athletics markets available
- Live streaming available
- Range of ongoing promotions
- Easy to use sportsbook on desktop and mobile
- Add2Bet and SnapBet features
- Generous welcome bonus
- 30+ sports covered
- Excellent betting odds
- Mobile app for iOS and Android customers
- Attractive promos for new and existing customers
- Competitive odds
- Summer and winter Olympics markets
- Variety of ongoing promotions
- Virtual sports markets found
How We Rank the Best Olympic Betting Sites
Olympics betting may not be the first market in which punters think of at online bookmakers. However, the Summer Olympic Games is an event that increasingly attracts the attention of bettors. Many of the best-known bookies now offer betting on Olympics. This is certainly a good thing for punters. However, it does make deciding on which site to sign up on more difficult. This is why our experts have looked closely to identify the best Olympics betting sites. When ranking bookmakers in this area, we use the following criteria:
- Safety – Olympics betting must first and foremost be safe. All recommended bookies are regulated by the UK Gambling Commission. They also have a variety of tools in place, designed to maximise security. As such, your personal details are never at risk of fraud.
- Markets – 33 sports and 339 different events now make up the Summer Olympic Games. As such, the best bookmakers offer a huge number of Olympics betting markets. Bets should be available before and during events. Meanwhile, some betting sites will offer special markets surrounding the games.
- Odds – Betting odds Olympics determine how much punters make from placing winning bets. Prices should represent the athletes on show, based on their ability and track record. So, whether you are betting on the leading athletes or an outsider, it must be worth the risk.
- Promotions – Some bookies will introduce Olympics-specific promotions ahead of the event. Meanwhile, each of our recommended betting sites offers a form of welcome offer too. Promotions can help punters in reaching their targets. However, T&Cs are involved, so be sure to check them out beforehand.
- Features – Additional features enhance the betting experience for punters. Live streaming, cash out and bet builders are perhaps the most in-demand features today. Features will ideally be available on both desktop and mobile.
- Mobile – Speaking of mobile, Olympics betting must be available at any time, anywhere. This means bookmakers optimising their sportsbook sites for mobile devices. Some will go one step further in developing betting apps. Either way, it must be easy for bettors to wager on their favourite athletes using their phone or tablet.
- Support – When needed, support should be available via a number of avenues. Telephone, email and live chat are the most common online today. Many of the leading bookies are on hand 24/7 too.
The Best Olympic Sports To Bet On
The introduction of five new disciplines means that the Summer Olympic Games now features 33 different sports. As a result, there has never been so much choice when it comes to betting on the event. However, there are undoubtedly some sports which gain more interest from fans and punters than others. Let’s take a closer look at the most popular Olympic sports to bet on:
Track & Field – The first events in which many think of surrounding the Olympics come from track & field. Sprinting, middle and long distance running are joined by jumping and throwing events, such as the triple jump, discus and javelin. The 100m and 200m finals always attract great interest from punters. The likes of Usain Bolt, Linford Christie and Elaine Thompson have won gold here over the years.
Swimming – Events from the pool are also hugely enjoyable. Whether it be breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle or butterfly, races over different distances are available to bet on. Michael Phelps, Jenny Thompson and Ryan Lochte have all dominated in their time.
Gymnastics – Having been part of the Olympic movement since 1896, it should come as no surprise that gymnastics is another hugely popular event at the Summer Games. Rhythmic and trampoline events now accompany floor, bar and other apparatus disciplines.
Basketball – Olympic basketball odds are also found at many betting sites today. Part of the Summer Games since 1936, basketball is played by both men and women, with the USA having dominated over the years.
Football – Both men and women are involved in football at the Olympics. Players in male teams must be aged under-23, with three exceptions being allowed, while there are no such restrictions for female teams.
Cycling – Cycling at the Olympics takes place in the velodrome, as well as on the road and mountains. It is generally track cycling which grabs the attention of punters. Events including the sprint, pursuit and Keirin are available to bet on.
Tennis – The world’s leading tennis players also take part in the Olympics. The likes of Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams have all won gold for their respective nations over the years.
Martial Arts – Karate, judo, taekwondo and wrestling are also part of the Summer Olympics. Attracting interest from a specific set of followers, the battle for medals here is intense.
Olympics Betting Markets: The Best Wagers
Now that you know the events available to bet on, it is time to take a closer look at the most popular Olympics betting markets. Bookmakers are unlikely to cover each and every event at the Summer Games, with the following being the most in-demand:
100m Final – The men’s and women’s 100m final is the highlight of the Olympics for many. Despite being over in a matter of seconds, the build-up and race itself often makes for great entertainment. Being crowned fastest in the world is a title desired by many.
Marathon – One of the greatest tests of endurance comes with the marathon. Part of the Olympics since 1896, the race takes place over 26 miles. Punters can bet on who will win the men’s and women’s race, as well as potentially whether a world record will be broken.
Cycling Team Pursuit – Involving two teams, each with four riders, the Team Pursuit is one of the most exciting events at the Summer Olympics. Taking place over 4km, the team registering the fastest time will win. Meanwhile, victory can also be declared if one team catches the other. Great Britain has won the men’s gold for three consecutive Games.
Rowing Coxless Four – Another event in which Britain has excelled in over the years is rowing. Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir Matthew Pinsent have both won five and four golds respectively. The majority of Olympics betting sites will offer markets on the race.
Other Popular Olympic Betting Markets
Aside from the standard Olympics betting markets, there are a host of alternatives for punters to consider. Known as specials with most bookies, the following markets also attract major interest from bettors:
Medals Table – The medals table outlines which countries have been the most successful at the Olympic Games. The likes of the United States, China, Great Britain and Australia regularly feature in the top positions. Many bookmakers accept bets on which nation will finish at the top of the pile. Gold medals count for more in this case, with silver and bronze medals also contributing.
Great Britain Total Golds – Available with a host of British bookmakers, punters can wager on how many gold medals Great Britain will win during the Olympics. This is across all sports and events, with GB having won 27 at Rio 2016.
Prop Bets – A small number of prop bets are also likely to be available during the Olympics. Such markets could potentially include a country not to win a single medal, a certain singer to perform at the opening ceremony or there being a disqualification in a particular event.
Olympics Betting Odds
As we have already mentioned, the prices offered for Olympics betting markets will differ between bookmakers. While this potentially not being a significant difference, it can still impact how much punters earn. Those with a good knowledge of the Summer Games are likely to be in a position to find good value. Below is our recommended Olympic betting bookmaker for those looking for the leading odds.
Our Recommended Bookie For The Best Olympics Betting Odds
- Claim Free Bet
- Regularly delivers market leading odds
- Available to view in fractional, decimal and American formats
- Daily price boosts
Live Betting on the Olympics
Like with other sporting events, including Premier League football, tennis and cricket, live betting markets are available surrounding the Olympics. This means that punters are not restricted to just placing bets before events. While not available on all Olympic events, bettors are likely to be in a position to wager once events such as the marathon, long jump final and tennis gold medal match are underway. Odds will fluctuate based on how athletes are performing. Many bookies also now offer a cash out feature, which is especially useful for live betting.
Betting on the Olympics On Mobile
The Olympics is an event enjoyed by millions across the globe. While many will watch the action on television or desktop devices, others will follow events on mobile. This is why it has never been more important for Olympics betting sites to be fully functional on phones and tablets. This is already the case with the vast majority of bookmakers. Some have even taken the step of developing and introducing a dedicated betting app. Either way, olympics betting markets should be available with just a few taps of your screen. Features such as Touch and Face ID make mobile betting all the more efficient.
The Ultimate 5 Olympics Betting Tips
Whether you are new to Olympics betting or have been wagering on the Summer Games for years, it is important to give yourself the best possible chance of beating the bookies. While there is no guaranteed formula for success, the following Olympics betting tips will stand you in good stead:
- Stick to What You Know – As with any sports betting, it is important to wager on what you have a good knowledge of. This means steering clear of badminton, weightlifting or rugby, if you do not know about the athletes involved.
- Look at Markets Now – While you may not place bets now, there is no harm in checking out the Olympics betting markets available. This will enable punters to see how prices are changing, as well as any athletes that have been added or dropped out.
- Look at the Record Books – Many athletes win Olympic medals at more than one Games. The likes of Usain Bolt, Steve Redgrave and Mo Farah have all had success over a number of years. So, be sure to look who won medals at Rio 2016, as well as other major championships of late.
- Expert Views – Take on board the opinions of industry experts. Whether it be track & field, golf or cycling in which you are looking to bet on, take into account what existing and former athletes have to say in the build up to Tokyo 2021, in Japan.
- Watch Live – For those considering placing live bets on the Summer Olympics, watching the action unfold live can be particularly helpful. For example, watching the 1,500 final as it plays out will give punters a good idea of how those involved are set.
How To Watch The Summer Olympics 2021 in the UK
For those in the UK, the 2021 Summer Olympics will be broadcast by both the BBC and Eurosport. Meanwhile, it is anticipated that a number of bookmakers will also cover events from the Games. The following are the betting sites to have offered Olympics live streaming in the past. We have also listed just how punters can qualify to watch streams.
|Bookie||Welcome bonus||Streaming Criteria||Visit site|
|888Sport||Bet £10 Get £30 in Free Bets||£1+ bet in last 24 hours||Visit 888Sport|
|Betfair||Up to £100 in Free Bets||Minimum £1 bet||Visit Betfair|
|Paddy Power||£10 Risk Free Bet||Funded account or £1+ bet||Visit Paddy Power|
|Ladbrokes||Bet £5 Get £20 in Free Bets||Minimum £1 bet||Visit Ladbrokes|
The fact that the Tokyo Olympics was postponed until 2021 will have only made punters more eager to back their favourite athletes and teams. Olympics betting is growing in popularity, with many of the leading online bookmakers now offering markets here. So, whether you are looking to bet on the 100m, table tennis, mountain biking or skateboarding, our recommended Olympics betting sites are well worth checking out.
Which are the best betting sites for betting on the Olympics?
An increasing number of online bookmakers accept bets on the Summer Olympic Games. However, there are undoubtedly some which perform better than others. Having tested all available operators, we recommend the likes of MansionBet, 888Sport and BetRegal.
Is it safe to bet on the Olympics?
Betting on the Olympics is safe, as long as wagers are placed on sites licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission. All of our recommended Olympics betting sites meet this requirement, while also having a number of additional safety measures in place.
Can I claim a welcome bonus when signing up at an Olympics betting site?
Yes. All of our top ranked Olympics betting sites offer some form of sign up offer. Whether it be free bets or a deposit bonus, such rewards are generally worth utilising, as long as the terms and conditions are fair for all parties.
Which are the most popular Olympic events to bet on?
The 100m and 200m sprints are popular Olympic betting markets. Away from the track, the marathon also attracts great interest from punters, along with events from the cycling track, rowing, martial arts and tennis, among others.
Is live betting on the Olympics available?
Yes! The majority of bookmakers will offer live betting on Olympic events. This means that punters can place bets even after events have begun. This can be very rewarding, especially if you can back an athlete to come from a losing position to claim glory.